Not sure why we call it 8 lines when it is only 7 lines. This is a great up and down the field drill and much more realistic of the types of throws you need to make. Older guys: have the players on the sidelines; younger players: have them on restraining lines.
Drill Notes & Diagram
- Goalies at GLE one side of the field
- GLE opposite goalies
- Timeline and restraining line
- Midline and wing restraining line
- Time line and restraining line
- Each side of goal on GLE far goal
- Go to line you throw to
- Don’t leave until guy throwing you the ball catches the ball
- Line 4 will want to pass the ball to line 6.
- Don’t coach line 4 to make the right pass
- Coach line 5 to speak up and calling for the ball: “Be a good teammate and call for the ball.” “Help your teammate to make the right decision, call for the ball.”
- Lines 6 breaks when line 4 catches the ball, the over the shoulder pass should be at least a 20 yard pass
- No one leaves line until guy passing you the ball catches the ball
- Players stay at starting line, they will want to migrate to the center of the field
- Everyone throws the ball
- Everyone throws but last guy, who catches over the shoulder, shoots the ball
- If you catch it roll it, if you scoop it throw it. The line throwing the over the shoulder, line 5, always throws it.
- Add G2, this could be coach.
- Line 5 makes pass standing still